Herbal Breakfast Bar Recipe for Energy & Focus
This herbal breakfast bar recipe is the perfect solution to busy mornings and skipped meals. By adding herbs that provide energy, stamina, mental clarity and focus this breakfast bar will keep you going strong all morning long.
The medicinal herbs in this recipe are adaptogens which help the body adapt to stress.
Maca - energizing and mood-lifting.
Eleuthero - increases stamina and strengthens immune function.
Lion’s Mane - nootropic, which means it promotes cerebral function.
Cinnamon - warming carminative that supports digestion and blood sugar balance.
You will want to powder your herbs before incorporating them into the recipe. A coffee grinder or mortar and pestle works well or buy your herbs already ground.
- 1 cup packed dates, pitted (deglet noor or medjool)*
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup nut butter (cashew, sesame, almond, peanut)
- 1 cup roasted unsalted almonds, loosely chopped (see instructions for roasting nuts)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup powdered herbs. I used 2 tbsp Maca, 1 tbsp Lion’s Mane, 2 tsp Eleuthero and 1 tsp Cinnamon
- optional: goji berries, dried fruit, nuts, banana chips, etc.
- Add pitted dates to a food processor and grind for about 1 min until finely chopped or ball forms.
- Optional + Highly Recommended: Toast your oats and nuts in a 350-degree F for 10-15. Check frequently!
- Place oats, almonds and dates in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Warm maple syrup and nut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates to disperse throughout.
- Once combined lay the mixture between two pieces of parchment paper. Use a rolling-pin to flatten the bars from 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.
- Transfer to baking sheet and place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes until firm.
- Remove bars from pan and chop into even bars. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a five days!
* Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker.
I hope you enjoy these delicious, nutritious, energizing herbal breakfast bars! Make them on the weekend and you’ll have breakfast ready for an entire week. No more skipping breakfast because you’re too stressed and too busy.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and let me know if you have any questions. And don’t forget to take a picture of your breakfast bars and tag it with #nectarapothecary on Instagram! I love seeing how you incorporate herbs into your busy schedule.